Claim Back Income Tax

If you paid more income tax than you should have, HMRC will give you a refund on the sum that you overpaid. This is done automatically by HMRC more often than not, but it’s always good to check your tax and see if they somehow omitted to give you the refund.

If you think you paid too much tax, the first thing we advise you to do is to give them a ring, and tell them your concerns. They are very helpful and friendly, and they will go through your earnings and re-calculate everything for you. Make sure you’ll have your National Insurance number with you, and be aware that they will ask you a few security questions just to verify your identity.

Here is what you need to do to claim back your tax:

  • Check on your P60 or P45 how much tax you paid
  • Calculate your tax and write down how much you think you’re owed
  • Get your National Insurance Number at hand
  • Call HMRC on this number: 0300 200 3300 (or +44 135 535 9022 if you’re abroad)
  • Tell them your concerns
  • They will tell you straight away if you’re due for a refund or not
  • They will ask for your bank account where you want the refund to go
  • Or they will send you a check to your address with the re-fundable sum
  • Please note that you can also nominate someone to receive the check with the refund

If you have any other questions regarding your overpaid tax refund, please let us know in a comment below, and well be happy to answer or discuss your concerns.

Claim back income tax HMRC
Claim back income tax HMRC